The Community School of the Arts Choirs are now scheduling auditions for new members in the 2013-2014 ensembles for children in grades 3-12 who love to sing.
Join us to celebrate Mary Oyer’s 90th Birthday!
April 19 and 20 at Goshen College
Goshen College Professor Emerita Dr. Mary Oyer turns 90 years old this April. You are invited by the GC Music Department and Music Center to take part in these events in honor of her extraordinary life and legacy:
Friday, April 19
- 7:30 p.m. – GC Symphony Orchestra Concert, Sauder Concert Hall, GC Music Center
In addition to an exciting program of orchestral favorites, a Brazilian piece chosen for this occasion by Maestro Christopher Fashun, and birthday cake for all in the Music Center Lobby highlight the evening. Admission $7 adult $5 seniors and students, GC students free.
Saturday, April 20
Afternoon events in Rieth Recital Hall, GC Music Center (Free admission)
- 1:00 p.m. – Hymn sing with GC professor of music Dr. Debra Brubaker, dean of Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary Dr. Rebecca Slough, and GC organ instructor Kevin Vaughn
- 2:30 p.m. – Mary Oyer and ethnomusicologist Dr. Roderic Knight discussion and demonstration: Music as a Window to African Culture
- 4:00 p.m. – GC alumna Lisa Horst and Mary Oyer discuss and explain the Mary Oyer African Music Project and its accompanying displays in the Music Center Lobby
- 5:30 p.m. – African themed meal in College Mennonite Church Fellowship Hall. Cost: $25 per person, and includes a ticket to the 7:30 p.m. celebration program in Sauder Concert Hall. RESERVATION REQUIRED. You may reserve your place and pay by credit card by calling the Music Center office at 574-535-7361, or by mailing your check written and addressed to “GC Music Center”, 1700 S Main St, Goshen, IN 46526. Please note “MKO dinner” on subject line of your check.
- 7:30 p.m. – Celebration program in Sauder Concert Hall, with an address by Mary, singing by the GC Women’s World Music Choir, hymn singing led by Eastern Mennonite University professor of music Dr. Kenneth Nafziger and others, and a performance by the Goshen College String Quartet. Cost: $5; free for all students.
Image Gallery of Mary Oyer
Copyright © 2010 - Goshen College Music CenterSite Designed and Developed by Creative Underground