Youth Honors Orchestra
YHO: String Orchestra and Musical Leadership Training
Contact: Hillary Harder, Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org or (574) 535-7341.
Youth Honors Orchestra is a string ensemble open to students in grades 6-12. YHO consists of weekly rehearsals, two concerts per year, and a unique focus on peer mentorship and musical excellence in a collaborative, multi-age environment. *Note: students must be members of their school orchestra in order to be eligible for YHO.
NEW: We are pleased to announce our YHO Internship program, beginning in fall 2022. YHO members age 16-18 are eligible to be chosen as paid YHO Interns working with the ECoSistema music and youth development program at the Boys & Girls Club of Goshen. Eight intern positions are available for the 2022-2023 school year. See below for more information.
YHO Ensemble 2022-2023
Open to students in grades 6-12 by audition. The Youth Honors Orchestra ensemble rehearses on Tuesday nights from 6:30-7:30 pm at the Goshen College Music Center, room MC 150 (Orchestra Room). *Note: students must be members of their school orchestra in order to be eligible for YHO.
Fall 2022 Auditions
- Saturday, August 20 from 1:00-4:00 pm at the Goshen College Music Center
- Tuesday, August 23 from 6:00-8:00 pm at the Goshen College Music Center
*New YHO members must complete an audition in order to register. Continuing YHO members do not have to audition and may register now for the 2022-2023 season.
How to Audition:
- Click the Audition Sign-Up link below. Sign up for one 5-minute time block.
- Fill out the YHO Registration Form below.
- The day of the audition, please bring your completed YHO Registration Form and payment (cash, check, or card).
- Once you have completed your audition and submitted your YHO Registration Form with payment, your registration is complete!
- A 2-octave scale of your choice (half notes).
- Two minutes of a solo or piece from your school orchestra.
- Brief sight-reading passage provided by the director.
*See below for instructions on how to audition and interview for a paid YHO internship position.
YHO Calendar 2022-2023
- Saturday, August 20, 1-4 pm: Auditions and interviews
- Tuesday, August 23, 6-8 pm: Auditions and interviews
- Tuesday, August 30: Registration deadline and first fall rehearsal
- Tuesday, November 15: Fall concert – Sauder Concert Hall
- Tuesday, January 17: First spring rehearsal
- Saturday, April 23, 7:30 pm: Side-by-side performance with the Goshen College Symphony Orchestra – Sauder Concert Hall
- TBD May: Spring concert
The Goshen College Community School of the Arts arranges for financial aid to any family whose income qualifies them for free or reduced lunch in the Federal School Lunch Program. We ask parents to use the “honor system” when selecting the appropriate YHO tuition.
*Students who register for the fall AND spring semesters will receive a Whole Year Discount of $20 off.
*A one-time $20 registration fee will be charged in addition to tuition.
|Fall Only||Fall and Spring|
|Full Price $100||Full Price $180|
|Reduced Lunch $70||Reduced Lunch $120|
|Full Price $50||Full Price $80|
*Note: This year we have a limited number of full scholarships available for YHO. If you would like to be considered for a full scholarship, please click the Full Scholarship Interest Form button below. Filling out this form does not guarantee that you will receive a full scholarship. We will notify recipients by email.
YHO Internship Program
Open to students ages 16-18, the YHO Internship Program is designed to provide hands-on musical leadership training for motivated, advanced high school musicians who are interested in making a positive impact on younger students and developing firsthand music-teaching skills.
YHO Internship Details…
- YHO Interns rehearse with the YHO Ensemble during weekly, 1-hour rehearsals.
- YHO Interns spend at least 1 additional hour a week working with ECoSistema students at the Boys & Girls Club of Goshen.
- YHO Interns are considered employees of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Elkhart County: they’ll go through employee onboarding and will be on the Club’s payroll. Pay: $10.56/hour.
How to Become a YHO Intern…
If you’d like to apply for one of our eight YHO Intern positions for the 2022-2023 school year, the first step is to join YHO! As a prospective intern, you will need to both audition and interview. Complete the following steps:
- Click the Audition/Interview Sign-Up link below. Sign up for three 5-minute time blocks in a row (15 minutes total)
- Fill out the YHO Registration Form.
- The day of the audition and interview, please bring your completed YHO Registration Form and payment (cash, check, or card).
- Once you have completed your audition and submitted your YHO Registration Form with payment, your registration as a YHO ensemble member is complete!
- After all YHO internship candidates have auditioned and interviewed, we will announce our 8 chosen YHO interns.
Questions?: Please contact CSA Program Director Hillary Harder at email@example.com or (574) 535-7341.
Victoria Petrak, YHO Musical Director
Victoria Petrak is a conductor, performer and educator recently appointed Director of Orchestras for Concord Community Schools in Elkhart. She recently completed her Masters degree in Orchestral Conducting at Kent State University under the instruction of Dr. Jungho Kim, while teaching orchestra in the Shaker Heights School district. Previously, she earned her BM in violin performance and BME in music education at Baldwin Wallace University where she studied violin with Dr. Julian Ross and Katherine Bormann. Victoria’s conducting education has included study with Octavio Más-Arocás and Tiffany Chang, and master classes in the United States and Europe with Howard Williams, John Farrer, Markand Thakar, and Kevin Noe.
While studying at Kent State University, Petrak worked with Kent State University Orchestra, Opera Production and Scenes, and New Music Ensemble. Additionally, Victoria is on faculty at Camp Encore/Coda in Sweden, Maine and conducts the Philharmonia Orchestra, teaches private lessons and coaches chamber music. Previously, she taught middle school band in Lakewood City Schools, and was an ensemble manager and assistant at Interlochen Arts Camp.
Victoria has been assistant conductor to Donna Jelen at Shaker Heights High School, assistant to Octavio Más-Arocas for the Baldwin Wallace Symphony Orchestra and Conservatory Summer Institute orchestras. She was chosen as the first guest conductor for the Contemporary Youth Orchestra under the direction of Liza Grossman, and conducted the United States premiere of Fay Wang’s The Play of Toys. An advocate for contemporary music, Victoria has conducted multiple world premieres with the Baldwin Wallace Symphony Orchestra, BW Brass Ensemble fanfare project, and the premiere of Scott Little’s opera Story of an Hour with the Kent State University Opera scenes program. She hopes to continue to diversify the repertoire performed by orchestras, and increase the accessibility of orchestral music. As a performer, Victoria enjoys playing in orchestra and has toured Europe with the International Youth Symphony Orchestra, as well as performed with the National Music Festival Orchestra, and Baldwin Wallace Bach Festival Orchestra.