The Community School of the Arts Choirs are now scheduling auditions for new members in the 2013-2014 ensembles for children in grades 3-12 who love to sing.
Youth Honors Orchestra
The Elkhart County Youth Honors Orchestra (YHO) has a long tradition of excellence in Elkhart County, launched by the Elkhart County Symphony Association and currently housed at the Goshen College Music Center. There are two full orchestras, one for grades 7 through 9 (“Concert Orchestra”) and one for grades 9 through 12 (“Symphony Orchestra”). Rehearsals are held on Saturday afternoons leading up to concerts in January and May. Strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion are encouraged to consider joining this honors orchestra program.
For more information about the Elkhart County Youth Honors Orchestra, please contact YHO coordinator Rosalyn Troiano at email@example.com.
Concert Orchestra (YHCO)
Kate Truscello, conductor
Rehearsals Saturdays, 11:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m., Goshen College Music Center room 153
Originally from Kansas, Katelyn Truscello received her Bachelor of Music in Music Education and Violin Performance from the University of Iowa. While there she served as President of the Collegiate Music Educators National Conference Chapter. Her professional activities have included working with the West Des Moines Public Schools Community Education Program as a strings instructor and actively providing private instruction in violin, viola, and cello in the community. She has also been substituting in the Des Moines Public Schools not only in music and general classes, but also Spanish instruction. Her professional organizations include membership in the Music Educators National Conference and the American String Teachers Association. In addition to the YHO, Ms. Truscello is an orchestra director in the Goshen Community Schools.
Symphony Orchestra (YHSO)
Dr. Christopher Fashun, conductor
Rehearsals Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.., Goshen College Music Center room 150
An incredibly diverse and versatile conductor and performer, Dr. Christopher Fashun is an Assistant Professor of Music on the faculty at Goshen College where he conducts the Symphony Orchestra, directs the Lavender Jazz Ensemble, oversees the music education program, conducts the orchestras for musicals and opera, and teaches applied percussion. In 2011, he became the music director of the Elkhart County Honors Youth Orchestra where he has the opportunity to work with talented high school musicians throughout Elkhart County. Dr. Fashun holds a holds a Doctor of Musical Arts in Orchestral Conducting from the University of Iowa where he studied conducting with William LaRue Jones and viola with Christine Rutledge.
- Monday, August 27, 2012: 4:00 – 7:00 p.m, Goshen College Music Center room 150
- Tuesday, August 28, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m., Goshen College Music Center room 150
- Wednesday, August 29, 3:30 – 6:30 p.m., Elkhart Central High School orchestra room
Auditions will consist of the following components:
- Students will be asked to play three scales. Memorization is not required. Please see YHO Audition Requirements (.pdf) for a list of scales for each ensemble.
- Two minutes of a prepared solo. Please bring two photocopies for the judges.
- Sight-reading excerpt, provided by the judges
Tuition and Fees
- Standard tuition: $10 audition fee + $75 tuition, per semester
- Reduced Lunch tuition: $10 audition fee + $30 tuition, per semester
- Free lunch tuition: $10 audition fee + $0 tuition
The YHO will present two concerts in the Goshen College Music Center’s Sauder Concert Hall:
- Thursday, January 31, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 19, 2013, 7:30 p.m.
Please refer to these files for further information about the YHO and auditions.
- YHO Information Form (includes schedule and performance dates)
- YHO Audition Form
- YHCO/YHSO Audition Requirements
- YHCO Scales – Violin • Viola • Cello • Bass
- YHSO Scales – Violin • Viola • Cello • Bass
Community School of the Arts students and their immediate family members may attend many events at the Music Center for free that others pay admission to attend via the Music Center’s “Purple Pass.” Click for more information.
Copyright © 2010 - Goshen College Music CenterSite Designed and Developed by Creative Underground